This past weekend my aunt had her annual Fall Festival! We celebrated the fall with a delicious dinner with many friends and family! The festivals menu consisted of my Aunts delicious maple beer turkey (recipe to come), mashed potatoes, pumpkin lasagna, stuffing, and finally my newly created recipe Bacon Parmesan Garlic Green Bean Amandine*. This dish is smoky, bright, and delicious. It is sure to wow any guests coming over!
*Amandine is a culinary term indicating a garnish of almonds. Dishes of this sort are usually cooked with butter and seasonings, then sprinkled with whole or flaked, toasted almonds.
Bacon Parmesan Garlic Green Bean Amandine
Cook Time: 45 minutes
1 pound of bacon ends cut into small pieces
1-1.5 pounds of Fresh Green Beans
2-3 cloves of fresh minced garlic
1/2 cup of fresh Parmesan
3 Tablespoons butter
1 Tablespoon Fresh cracked Pepper
1 Tablespoon Sea Salt
1/3 cup thinly sliced roasted almonds
Deep large pot (with lid)
Lemon zester (or grater)
- Prep green beans by washing them then cutting the ends off.
- Begin cooking bacon in deep pot until it is crisp. Once bacon is cooked lay it onto a paper towel lined plate to absorb excess oil. Pour bacon grease into a mug.
- Place butter and garlic at the bottom of the bot. (DO NOT CLEAN THE BOT AFTER BACON)
- -By using the same pot as the bacon you will transfer some of the delicious bacon flavor into the beans whilst steaming them!
- Once butter has melted add beans and fill with water until there is one inch of water at the bottom.
- Turn on medium heat and close the pot.
- Steam the green beans until done, occasionally gently stir green beans. It took me around 12 minutes to get a nice steamed green bean that retained its crispness. Times will vary though. Stir every 5 minutes.
- Drain the water out of the pot leaving the green beans and garlic. Remove pot from heat.
- Add most of the parmesan, bacon, and almonds. Zest 1/2 of a lemon rind over top whilst stirring. Add the sliced almonds. Crack fresh pepper on top as well as sprinkling the sea salt.
- Place into final presentation dish. Sprinkle leftover parmesan, bacon, and almonds on top.
- Wrap with foil, and then place into oven at 250 Degrees Fahrenheit for 5 minutes to reheat before presentation.