This Superbowl the Bennett family decided to go all out in our game day dishes. My dad made his delicious homemade pretzel bites and they were dangerously good. We also paired the pretzel bites with a yummy beer cheese fondue which went perfectly with the pretzels. This dish is great for any party or just as a snack. This recipe is based off of Alton Browns recipe but it has a couple fun twists.
Homemade Cheesy Pretzel Dippers
Prep Time: 30 Minutes
Cook Time: 20 Minutes
Wait Time: 1 Hour
- 1 1/2 cups Warm Water (112 degrees)
- 1 Tablespoon Sugar
- 2 Tablespoons Kosher Salt
- 1 packet Active Dry Yeast
- 4 1/2 cups All Purpose Flour
- 2 ounces Unsalted butter melted
- 10 Cups water
- 2/3 cup baking soda
- 2 large egg yolks
- Pretzel Salt (kosher sea salt works)
- 1 cup Cheddar Cheese
- 1 TB Fresh Cracked pepper
- Flat surface for cutting
- Mixing Bowls
- Stove Top
- Large Stock Pot
- Basting Brush (silicone works great)
- Cookie Sheet
- Parchment paper
- stand mixer (can be done by hand though, it will just take a lot of energy)
- Add water, Kosher salt (2TB), and sugar in the bowl of stand mixer and sprinkle yeast on top.
- Let sit for five minutes or until it begins to foam.
- Add the flour, pepper, cheese and butter and mix on low speed till combined (use hook attachment)
- change to medium speed and knead until dough is smooth and pulls away from side of bowl. (this step ca take about five minutes)
- Transfer dough to a well oiled bowl (with vegetable oil).
- Cover with plastic wrap and let rise i a warm place for an hour. (or until it has doubled in size)
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Combine the 10 cups of water and baking soda to a boil in the large stock pot.
- Now slightly oil a flat surface and remove the dough from the bowl.
- cut dough into 8 pieces
- roll sections into long strips (the dough should be almost 1 inch diameter)
- Cut strips out of the dough (I cut 3 inch strips.)
- Place the pretzels into boiling water, remove at 30 seconds. (MAKE SURE TO DO THIS!)
- return pretzels to parchment paper lined sheet pan.
- beat your egg yolks and add 2 TB water.
- brush egg yolk mixture onto pretzel pieces. sprinkle with your pretzel salt (or some extra cheddar cheese)
- Bake until golden brown (12-14 minutes)
- transfer to cooling rack
Thanks for reading!