One of my favorite things to order at PF Chang’s is their chicken lettuce wraps. I wanted to recreate their recipe and rework it to use turkey instead of chicken. The result: A new favorite recipe that is healthy and and perfect for meal prepping for the week! Not to mention it is low cost, low fat, low carbs, and delicious!
PF Changs Copy Cat Turkey Lettuce Wraps:
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
Yields: 4-5 servings
cost: Under $10.00
1 pound of ground turkey
1 head of butter leaf lettuce
1 can (8 oz) of water chestnuts diced
1 whole onion diced
2 garlic cloves minced
2 green onions, sliced
1 tablespoon of grated/minced ginger
salt/pepper for taste
1/4 cup hoisin sauce
2 tablespoons of soy sauce
1 tablespoon of olive oil
1 tablespoon of rice wine vinegar
OPTIONAL: Toasted chopped peanuts
OPTIONAL: 1/2 tablespoon of Sriracha
1 fry pan/wok
OPTIONAL: 2 part meal prep containers
For the filling
- Prep all of your produce/chestnuts before you start! This is a very fast recipe to make and its good to be prepared.
- Add oil to saucepan and begin to heat to medium/high heat. Once pan is heated add your turkey, a pinch of salt and pepper and cook until browned. If you have too much liquid in your pan when cooking turkey feel free to scoop out with spoon or use turkey baster to suck it up.
- once turkey is browned add onion (NOT GREEN ONION), garlic, ginger, hoisin sauce, soy sauce, vinegar, and Sriracha and cook until onions are clear (about 2-3 minutes).
- Add your green onions and water chestnuts and cook until tender (about 2 minutes)
- remove from heat
- serve by taking a leaf from the butter leaf lettuce as the wrap and fill with turkey filling. Top with toasted peanuts for extra crunch.
Toasting the Peanuts
- lightly chop up unsalted peanuts
- heat up 1 teaspoon of olive oil on a skillet
- add peanuts/pinch of salt and pepper to skillet and stir until lightly toasted. (1-2 minutes).
- WARNING: be very attentive with this, as it is easy to over toast the peanuts.
Organizing your Meal prep:
- fill one side of a 2 part mealprep container with the turkey filling
- when the turkey is cooled enough to prevent your lettuce wilting, portion out your butter leaf lettuce into 4-5 servings and place into remaining section of the 2 part meal prep container.
- top with toasted peanuts
- enjoy cold within 1 week of preparing dish.
- if you want to have hot just remove lettuce from container before microwaving for 60 seconds.
Pair this meal prep with an easy Trader Joe’s quick meal prep and you are set for the week!