For those who do not prefer the high tech methods of cooking meat, and enjoy the more rustic aspect of a roasted turkey breast this is the recipe for you! I personally love roasting turkey breasts, and getting to fill the entire house with the aromas of Thanksgiving. My recommendation for this recipe is to use a decent deep cast iron skillet or a great roast pan. I hope you enjoy this turkey day recipe!
Oven Roasted Garlic and Herb Turkey Breast
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 1-3 hours
Yields: 6-8 Servings (depending on breast size)
1 5 Lb. Turkey Breast (boneless, defrosted)
2 TB Butter
1 TB rosemary
1 TB Thyme
1 Tsp Sage
¼ cup dry white wine
4 garlic cloves
1 cup chicken stock
Fresh Ground Pepper
2-3 large carrots
½ large sweet onion
2 TB olive oil
Deep 12+ inch Cast-iron Skillet or Dutch-oven
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees
2. Begin by cutting your carrots and onion into large chunks to roast with your turkey.
3. Rub your turkey breast with the butter, add seasonings (Thyme, Rosemary, Sage, salt, pepper). Cut your garlic cloves in have and then insert cloves throughout your turkey breast. Make sure to rub both above and under the skin to ensure you get the fullest flavor throughout your turkey!
4. Place turkey into skillet/Dutch-Oven skin side up.
5. Add wine, chicken stock, vegetables.
6. Drizzle olive oil over the top.
7. Place into the oven at 450 degrees Fahrenheit and then immediately lower the heat to 350 degrees Fahrenheit to begin browning and cook uncovered for one hour.
- a. I like to baste the turkey every thirty minutes with the juices on the bottom
- b. You want the thickest part of the meat to register 165 degrees Fahrenheit to be done cooking. After the 1 hour mark check every 10 to 15 minutes to ensure you don’t overcook your turkey!
- c. If skin browns too quickly cover with lid or foil!
- d. The cook times depends on the weight of your turkey
- i. 2-4 pound un-stuffed turkey breasts can take 1-2 hours
- j. 4-8 pound un-stuffed turkey breasts can take 1.5-3 hours
8. When turkey is at desired internal temp remove from oven and let it rest for 15-20 minutes. Save the drippings to make your own delicious homemade gravy!
9. Time to carve and enjoy your beautiful turkey breast! 🙂
Thanks for reading!!
~ Madeline Bennett